The Women’s Centre Grey & Bruce Inc. is a non-profit charitable organization that is governed by a Board of Directors, who is elected by the Membership. The Executive Director is responsible for the operation of the Centre; and she is accountable to the Board. The Women’s Centre receives funding from the Ministry of Community and Social Services, Grey County Housing, through various donations and fundraising efforts.
Women and children will live in safety regardless of their circumstances, and our community will recognize and work to eliminate abuse and violence.
The Women’s Centre is a safer place for women and children.
We are innovative, caring leaders in providing secure shelter, crisis intervention, safety planning, counselling and transition services for women and children affected by abuse in Grey and Bruce Counties.
We support women and children as they build safe and sustainable lives free from abuse and violence.
We are experienced in providing accessible, woman-centred and compassionate services. We are committed to accountability, self-evaluation and ethical practices.
We share our own expertise and welcome the expertise of others in our community to address the complex factors that perpetuate abuse and violence.
We are committed to mobilizing our community to uphold and advance equality, self-determination and the elimination of violence. We can only achieve this through cultivation of partnerships with others who share these values.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing all of the organization’s operations according to policies and our strategic directions. She is the link between Board, Management and Staff, and represents the agency in the community and to our funders.
Contact Heather Fowler
519-376-0755 ext. 200
Caring staff from a variety of backgrounds and areas of expertise provide the programming and services for the Women’s Centre. Providing ongoing education, development and support for our staff is a priority for this organization, and we consider it an important part of providing compassionate and effective services for women and children.
Interested in working at the Women’s Centre?
Email or contact:
519-376-0755, ext. 200
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors is comprised of between 10 and 12 female and male volunteers who are nominated and elected by the membership (usually at the annual meeting), or appointed by the current Board if there are vacancies during the year.
The Board is responsible for:
- Setting the strategic direction for the organization
- Hiring and supervising the Executive Director
- Being accountable for the organization’s finances and resources
Board of Directors 2017-2018
|Denise Freeman||A registered nurse, specializing in mental health and palliative care. Board experience that include child/parent drop in centre, hospice, addiction services and library.|
|Debbie McKague||Brings previous Board experience, a background in construction, healthcare, not for profit organizations and hospitality.|
|Edward Barker, CA||A Financial Planner/Chartered Accountant business owner in the City of Owen Sound.|
|Executive Director:||Heather Fowler|
|Ruby Frank||Co-Founder & Coordinator of HER Grey Bruce, Owen Sound. Actively involved with OAITH Survivor Advisory Committee, Women at the Centre in Toronto, No Wrong Door Project and Women’s Abuse Screening Project.|
|Curry Humphreys||A retired Human Resources practitioner with professional and volunteer experience in healthcare, municipal and non-profit sectors.|
|Edward Marchewka||Retired from 34 years of front line and administrative work in a Toronto shelter with homeless youth, adults, families and newcomers to Canada.|
|Nadia Danyluk||A Youth Services Librarian with over a decade of experience. Recognized by the Ontario Public Library Association as Youth Services Librarian of the year in 2015.|
Interested in serving on the Board?
Please contact the Administration Office by email.
OUR STRATEGIC PLAN
Our recently completed Strategic Plan focuses on five priority areas:
- That gaps in service related to TWC core services will be filled, and to stabilize and maximize current service before consideration of growth or new services
- To enhance the profile of the organization and clarify our unique role and services in the community; to position ourselves as leaders and experts
- To ensure that a continuum of services are available to women and children; to improve relationships; to identify opportunities for collaboration that will maximize both resources and talent; to assert ourselves in these relationships proactively
- To maximize our existing human resources through ongoing training and development; to create a diversified and stable funding plan; to create organizational stability; to clarify and confirm our best practices; to enhance our positivity and belief in our selves; to ensure good governance.
- To successfully implement the Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS) accountability framework; to monitor and evaluate our performance; to confirm our policies and practices; to fulfill the important responsibility of good governance
Anyone over the age of 18 who lives in Grey or Bruce County, and who supports the Mission and Vision of the agency, can be a member of the Women’s Centre. Members are able to vote at the Annual General Meeting, and receive regular newsletters and updates about our activities. Approval of the Membership is required for election of the Board of Directors, changes to the Bylaws, and other “big picture” actions that allow the organization to operate.
Interested in becoming a Member?
Phone: 519-376-0755 or email
The Women’s Centre uses volunteers in a number of different roles:
- Child Care
- Board and Committees
- Special events
Interested in volunteering with the Women’s Centre?
Contact Manager – Teresa Timmerman
Fund Development and Funding Resources
The Women’s Centre receives funding from the following sources:
The Ministry of Community and Social Services
Grey County Housing
Private and Corporate Donations
Fundraising and Special Events
Interested in making a donation or finding out more about our fundraising and special events?
Contact: Teresa Timmerman, Manager, 519-376-0755 ext. 103 or email.